Seated Granodorite statue of Amenhotep III from the mortuary
temple of Amenhotep III, Thebes, 18th Dynasty, about 1350 BC
Intertwined symbols of Upper and Lower Egypt.
Amenhotep III (1390-1352 BC) commissioned hundreds of sculptures for his
mortuary temple on the west bank of the Nile at Thebes, though the precise original
location of most of them is not known. Statues representing the seated ruler
were probably intended to function as the recipients of offerings
This statue shows Amenhotep III seated on a throne. On the sides of the
throne are the intertwined symbols of the plants of Upper and Lower Egypt, representing
the union of the two lands of Egypt, and illustrating the fact that it is the
king who keeps them together.
Parts of several large statues from Amenhotep III's mortuary temple are
now in The British Museum.